1. A $50.00 non-refundable security deposit is required by each applicant upon acceptance into the program. Since this is a work therapy program all applicants accepted into the 90 day sober living program are required to work within SSM. Their working in the program, (i.e. work assignment) will pay their way through the program. Residents may bring up to $50 cash with them to our program. Residents are not permitted to work outside the program until completion of the 90 day program. Residents will receive a $30.00 per week stipend for personal items or for things that SSM or their food stamps does not provide.
2. Residents are required to stay on the premises for the first 30 days except for their work schedule, attending church, AA or NA meetings, or shopping trips with the group and not be permitted to go off by themselves. After the initial thirty days, a curfew of 8 pm will be in effect for the remainder of the time residents are in the sober living (90 day) program.
3. After completion of the sober living 90 day program, residents may apply for Independent sober living through an application and interview process. Residents accepted into the independent sober living may stay up to 30 months. Independent sober living residents are required to be on the premises no later than 10:00 PM unless authorized by the resident manager and President/CEO.
4. For independent sober living residents, program fees are due on a weekly basis in the amount of $15.00 per day. All fees are due every Sunday morning no later than 10:00 am in the President/CEOs office.
5. Residents are not allowed visitors or to send/receive letters within the first 30 days. In the event of a residents’ family emergency, family members can get into contact with resident manager (Men 803-269-1424 or women 803-542-2721).
6. Relationships and sexual relationships of residents with other residents, volunteers, or employees of Stepping Stones Ministry and associated programs are strictly forbidden. Also, residents, Staff members, volunteers and employees are not permitted to engage in any relationship with a former resident that has left the program within the previous twelve months. This also includes texting, Facebooking and exchanging telephone numbers and all other social media. Violation of this rule is cause for immediate dismissal.
7. No dating and no new relationships are permitted during the sober living 90 day program or up to the first year that residents remain in the program. This will terminate your residency.
8. Stepping Stones Telephone/Cell phone policy: It is a privilege to have a cell phone while at Stepping Stones program, not a right. Residents in the sober living (90 day) program are not permitted to have telephone/cell phones. The following guidelines will be strictly adhered to:
9. Televisions will be turned off at 11:00 pm Sunday through Friday nights, and will go off at midnight on Saturday evenings.
10. Resident within the sober living program will not be permitted to have a Personal Computer, Laptop, I Pad, or any type of electronic tablet.
11. Profanity, vulgarity, off-colored jokes or malicious gossip will not be tolerated.
12. No smoking or chewing tobacco products are permitted in any building (house or store) or any vehicle owned or operated by SSM. Also, no tobacco products of any kind are permitted on or near the church grounds. Vaping or e-cigarettes of any kind are not permitted.
13. All meetings scheduled at SSM are mandatory.
14. All residents will be subjected to random alcohol and drug testing.
15. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia, unreported medication, pornographic materials, firearms or any kind of weapons are strictly prohibited.
16. The drinking of alcoholic beverages or use of illegal drugs or medications other than prescribed by a doctor will not be tolerated. Your violation of this rule will automatically terminate your residency and your exit plan will be initiated.
17. There are no energy drinks, no energy shots, no energy pills allowed.
18. No mouth wash which contains alcohol or hand sanitizer which contains alcohol or rubbing alcohol or vanilla extract is allowed.
19. SSM property and vehicles must be treated with care at all times and never abused.
20. No food or beverages are to be consumed in SSM vehicles, nor housing bedrooms and living areas at any time.
21. No type of conning or soliciting will be tolerated. Borrowing or lending of money is not permitted by staff, residents or volunteers.
22. Residents are required to attend a minimum of 3 weekly AA, NA or CR meetings, monthly relapse prevention class, as well as attend all mandatory spiritual enrichment programs. This includes Sunday school, Sunday morning service, Family Fellowship Time (when scheduled), weekly Bible study, and Wednesday evening services. Since this a faith based environment, residents are strongly encouraged to carry their Bibles to all Bible studies, devotionals and church services.
23. When a resident has a concern or complaint, it should be brought to a staff member immediately. To complain to a fellow resident is useless and lowers the morale of everyone involved.
24. Residents are responsible for securing all personal property. All valuables and large sums of money should not be kept in or left in the living areas. SSM will not be responsible for any losses. SSM reserves the right to conduct random health and welfare inspections. This includes all areas of the house, vehicles, closet/wall lockers, bedrooms and telephones.
25. All residents coming into the program will be given work therapy assignments. Please inform your resident manager at the time of your interview any work limitations.
26. Any resident who decides to leave the program early should discuss it with a staff member first. Walking away or trying to influence another resident to leave may make the difference in your ability to return to the program in the future.
27. Any resident who leaves early and against staff advice will not be able to return to the program for a period of at least 6 months and not without formal evaluation by the President/CEO.
28. Any resident who leaves early or against staff advice and does not take their belongings with them, the property they leave will become SSM’s after a 24 hour absence.
29. No visitors are allowed on the property. Only residents and staff are permitted access to the living areas. Residents are not permitted to sit in the church parking lot or in front of the houses in vehicles for any reason.
30. Insubordination, disrespect, outbursts of anger, and verbal abuse to a staff member will not be tolerated. Any resident who feels they have been treated unjustly should take the matter to the President/CEO.
31. Physical altercations will not be tolerated. In-house disputes or disagreements should be resolved between the parties, and if not, must be reported to staff immediately.
32. Please be as quiet as possible in the living areas at all times. Quiet hours are from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM. Please respect your fellow residents.
33. Residents will be required to assist in maintenance of common areas as assigned (i.e. bathrooms, kitchen, laundry, outside area, lawn cleanup, etc.).
34. Residents will maintain a clean and neat living area (beds made, floors cleaned, furniture dusted, etc.)
35. No vehicles (cars or mopeds) will be permitted during the sober living 90 day program without prior special authorization from the President/CEO.
36. Male residents are not allowed hang out in front of 2111 Bull St or at 2127 Bull St. All foot traffic is to be in the back of 2111 towards the church parking lot. All foot traffic for female residents will be Bull St. towards the church, and around the front of the church. This includes being picked up or dropped off in the church parking lot. Violation of this rule will terminate your residency immediately.
37. Designated smoking areas for male residents are at the rear of 2111 Bull St and the front porch of 2110 Wallace St. The designated smoking area for female residents will be the back porch of 2127 Bull St., and the front porch of 2127 Bull St. Be respectful of your fellow residents and use the butt cans that are supplied.
38. Residents are not permitted to go to El Cheapo (across the street) or to the Mains Best store (Blue Store). Going to these location are cause for immediate dismissal from the program. (Includes all residents)
39. T-shirts or other Stepping Stones apparel may not be worn on shopping trips (except by staff of SSM).
40. No tank tops or wife-beaters or collarless non-sleeved shirts are allowed.
41. SSM will not assume the cost of medical care for any resident.
42. All residents that to go to see a doctor, hospital or Emergency room for any reason must turn in documentation from that doctor/hospital/ER to the resident manager upon return. Paper work must state; check in time; Check out time; Diagnosis; Medications; Any follow up: No Exceptions!
43. No playing music on any speakers, whether on a clock radio or other device capable of above average volume in the outside area. This causes issues with surrounding businesses during hours of operation.
44. All beds, mattress and box springs, are furnished with bed bug bag covers. These protective covers are not to be removed from beds for any reason without the express consent of the President/CEO of SSM. A fine of $35.00 will be assessed for any bed found not in compliance.
45. Sober living and Independent sober living residents must be mindful that space in their room is limited and are not allowed keeping more clothing, shoes and personal items than can reasonably fit in their allotted space.